Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I know this isn't really related to improving discipline on the road, but I just can't help it. Passing through Dona Soledad in Better Living tonight, I noticed that the local government has vastly improved the lighting on this oh-so-important road since the last time I passed there. There must have been one new street lamp every 20m or so on both sides of the road, which is good for all pedestrians and motorists.

However, I just want to comment on two things:

1. The lights seem pretty fancy (and, in my opinion, a bit gaudy for my taste) and I just can't help wondering how much money would have been saved if they just went for the plain-jane kinda street lamps. I mean, maybe they could have used the money to paint lane lines or improve drainage or feed the hungry or clothe the poor or something. You know, something that really eases the daily burdens of his constituents.

2. What in heaven's name does JB stand for? John the Baptist? Johnny Black? Joyful Bliss? Job...well, let's skip that one. Or maybe it stands for Jun Bernabe, who just happens to be the mayor of Paranaque. My God! Such blatant advertising. Now, I would understand if he used his own money to purchase and install these lights. If this was true, then I would have no issues with him putting his name or his mug shot or even a picture of his whole clan, their household help and all their pets on the street lamps. But if this was done using the city's funds, then I don't think he has the right to do such a thing. Even if the money was donated by private individuals on his behalf (which, for some reason, is quite common here in the Philippines, don't ask me why), then, he should have insisted cutting down a bit and use the excess funds for something else. Then the townsfolk would have had so much more to thank him for, which would improve his chances for reelection, and less need to rely on such underhanded tactics.

Sometimes, I just really can't understand how the minds of these people run.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe how about the "B"s all over makati street lamps and the "E"'s all over pasig street lamps:) and the Waiting Sheds in Rizal whose posts as shaped to the letter "Y" hehe. Though I must say the latter was at least creative hehe.

Anonymous said...

you're right. i guess i'm just a bit naive when it comes to these things. it took something really gaudy for me to realize it's been going on for some time.